Why do we need SP MDT Tool?
The SP MDT Tool, also known as the Smart Phone Multiport Download Tool, is a computer application primarily used for flashing firmware, custom ROMs, or recovery images onto Android smartphones and tablets with MediaTek (MTK) chipsets. It is designed specifically for MediaTek devices and is not compatible with other chipsets like Qualcomm or Exynos. Here are some reasons why the SP MDT Tool is needed:
- Firmware Flashing: The SP MDT Tool allows users to flash or update firmware on their MediaTek-based devices, which can help resolve software bugs, enhance device performance, and introduce new features.
- Unbricking: If a device becomes bricked (non-functional) due to a failed firmware update or an incompatible custom ROM, the SP MDT Tool can restore the device to its original state by flashing the stock firmware.
- Custom ROM installation: The SP MDT Tool enables users to flash custom ROMs on their devices, providing additional features, optimizations, and updates not available in the stock firmware.
- Recovery Image Flashing: If a device's recovery mode becomes corrupted or non-functional, the SP MDT Tool can flash a working custom or stock recovery image.
- Rooting: The SP MDT Tool can flash custom recovery images for MediaTek-based devices, allowing users to obtain root access and install root-related apps and modifications.
- Backup and Restore: The SP MDT Tool can create a full backup of the device's firmware, which is helpful in case of issues or when a user wants to revert to a previous firmware version.
- Memory Testing: The tool features a built-in function to test the device's RAM (Random Access Memory) and NAND Flash memory for errors, helping to diagnose potential hardware issues.
How to use SP MDT Tool
Follow the guidelines below to install scatter firmware using the SP MDT Tool on MediaTek devices.
- Download and install MediaTek Driver on the computer.
- Download and extract the SP MDT Tool on the Computer. Once you have extracted the SP MDT Tool, you will find the SPMultiPortFlashDownloadProject.exe file. Double-click on the SPMultiPortFlashDownloadProject.exe file to launch the Flash Tool.
- Once the SP MDT Tool is launched, Click on the Scatter File button.
- Locate the scatter.txt file (found inside the Stock Firmware of your MediaTek device) and click on the Open button.
- Tick on the BootRom+PreLoader COM Sel All checkbox.
- Click on the Scan button.
- Connect your MediaTek device to the computer using a USB cable (ensure the device is powered off). To establish the connection, press and hold the Volume Down button while connecting the device to the computer.
- Once the device is detected, Click on the Stop All button.
- UnTick the BootRom+PreLoader COM Sel All checkbox.
- Tick on the detected Comport.
- Click the Start All button to begin the flashing process.
- Once the flashing process begins, you can check the status next to the comport. The flashing process may take a few minutes to complete, depending on the size of the firmware.
- Once the flashing process is complete, a PASS message will appear to signify the end.
- Now, close the SP MDT Tool, disconnect the device from the computer, and restart it.
SP MDT Tool – Help and Information
What is SP MDT Tool?
The SP MDT Tool, or Smart Phone Multiport Download Tool, is a Flash Tool primarily used to flash firmware, custom ROMs, or recover images onto Android smartphones and tablets with MediaTek (MTK) chipsets. Developed by MediaTek Inc., this tool is handy for fixing software-related issues, unbricking devices, and updating firmware on MediaTek-based devices.
On which platforms is SP MDT Tool available?
The SP MDT Tool is primarily available for Windows and Linux operating systems. This tool is designed for use on computers to flash firmware, custom ROMs, and recovery images onto Android smartphones and tablets with MediaTek (MTK) chipsets.
Is SP MDT Tool Free?
Yes, the SP MDT Tool is a free software application available for download and use without any charges. However, it is important to note that the tool is intended for users with specific technical expertise.
Is SP MDT Tool safe?
Yes, the SP MDT Tool is 100% safe for computers, laptops, and MediaTek devices. Additionally, since the tool is officially released by the MediaTek community, it is safe and secure to use on computers.
How often is the SP MDT Tool updated?
There is no fixed schedule for MediaTek to update the SP MDT Tool. Instead, updates are released as needed to fix bugs and enhance performance. All updates are provided directly by MediaTek.
How can I install SP MDT Tool?
The SP MDT Tool is a portable application that doesn't require installation on the computer. Instead, download and unzip the tool, then double-click the flash_tool.exe file to launch it.
What devices does SP MDT Tool work with?
The SP MDT Tool is designed to work with Android smartphones and tablets using MediaTek (MTK) chipsets. Unfortunately, the tool is incompatible with devices featuring other chipsets, such as Qualcomm, Exynos, or others.
Does SP MDT Tool require an internet connection to use?
Once downloaded and extracted on your computer, the SP MDT Tool does not require an active internet connection. However, you will need an internet connection to download the tool itself, as well as the firmware, custom ROMs, or recovery images you plan to flash onto your device.
Is there any alternative tool to SP MDT Tool?
Yes, there is an alternative MediaTek flash tool called the SP Flash Tool. The SP Flash Tool (SmartPhone Flash Tool) is another flash tool developed by MediaTek Inc. for flashing firmware, custom ROMs, and recovery images onto MediaTek-based Android smartphones and tablets.
Where can I download the MediaTek Driver?
You can download the MediaTek USB driver compatible with the SP MDT Tool from the MediaTek Driver website or other reputable sources offering driver downloads. Alternatively, you can obtain the MediaTek USB driver from trustworthy websites like AndroidMTK.com or the XDA Developers forum.